Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Easy Biscuit Pizza

No doubt about it this is a healthy pizza but it was easy, yummy and my two year old ate it all up without any trouble. Nice thing was it was guilt free, in fact I felt better for eating it.
Sauce**
2 T Olive Oil
1 onion
2 cans chopped tomatoes, drained
1 t tomato paste
1 T thyme

Toppings
2 red, yellow, or green bell pepper sliced (we chopped ours-easier to eat)
1 zucchini sliced
5 cups spinach leaves (I didn't measure)
Ham (I used ham already cubed from the store-less work)
mozzarella (recipe called for 9 oz sliced-I don't have sliced so I guessed)

Heat half the oil in a large skillet and cook the onion until soft and barely brown, add tomatoes, paste, and thyme season with pepper (lets be honest it needs some salt). Let simmer until it is thick with little liquid. remove from the skillet and let cool

Heat the remain oil in the skillet and cook bell peppers and zucchini (again I added a little salt)until just beginning to brown. Let cool in skillet.

Put spinach in colander and pour boiling water over leaves to wilt. let cool then squeeze all the liquid out. Mince. ( I didn't mince...)

Crust*
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1 3/4 c white flour ( I only had white so I doubled the white flour and didn't use wheat)
1 t brown sugar
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 1/2 c buttermilk (I didn't have this so I used regular milk with 1 or 2 teaspoons of vinegar)

Combine all dry ingredients then add the milk and mix well to form a dough. Knead briefly. Divide into 6 pieces for individual pizzas (I made three little ones on one tray and one BIG pizza on another. I had a little bit of dough left over and my son made his own with no help. He was so proud.)

Roll the flat on a prepared baking sheet (use non-stick spray) Spread first with tomato sauce, then top with spinach, bell peppers, zucchini, ham, and cheese.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes. My big pizza took just as long as my three little ones.

*we felt that the dough was missing taste...my two year didn't care. Next time I am going to try adding herbs to the crust for extra flavor.
**I thought adding garlic in the tomato sauce would be yummy

I know it looks like a lot of work and time, but it honestly didn't take long...45 minutes to an hour. It was fun since my little man was able to help so much.

1 comment:

  1. ooh, i'm excited to try this one! it looks and sounds good!!!

    ReplyDelete