Monday, January 19, 2009

Chicken Soup Monterey

We LOVE this soup! Yes, that includes the little guy. He actually asked for 2nds! WOW! I know. It is so easy and again something Jared helped me with.

2 cans chicken broth (I use bullion and water)
2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 celery stalk, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1/8 pound deli smoked chicken breast, diced *
1/2 c snipped fresh parsley**
1/2 t dried marjoram leaves
1/2 t black pepper
2/3 reduced-fat Monterey Jack Cheese***
1 t mesquite smoke flavoring****

Combine EVERYTHING in the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer until tender. About 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and smoke flavoring.
YES THAT IS REALLY IT!

*I use chicken breast with mesquite seasoning and I BBQ instead(one less pan to clean) **parsley looks so pretty but really isn't a must.
***Moneterey Jack can be pricey...tonight we used a blend of Jack and cheddar. Although it didn't thicken as well it tasted just as good.
****Instead of buying the liquid smoke flavoring I use the same mesquite seasoning I used on chicken. Be careful it can get spicy and little ones might not like it.

-Tonight I didn't have celery so I put in more carrots. That is the joy of this recipe...well and most soups. There is a lot of room to improvise.
-Tonight I also tried sweet potatoes instead of regualr and that was so good! Makes it something a little different. and really colorful.
-It is also really easy to double and freeze or just add extra veggies so there is left overs.

3 comments:

  1. I had this again today for lunch...oh it was so good! I love the sweetness of the sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good... any changes for trying this is the Crock Pot?? Yes, I am just THAT lazy.
    Also, I REALLY liked that you included a picture! Can we all do this when we post?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought of doing it in the crock pot-do you think you could put raw chicken in to cook all at once? Sounds workable to me. Let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete