Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cooking Differently

I would like to preface these three recipes with a story. Last night we had the Moraccan Stewed Chicken, which we all enjoyed. Jake asked if I was cooking like "this" because he's fat. I told him "no," it's because I am! I am making it a goal to eat foods that make me feel good. Each of these recipes is chock full of fresh, filling ingredients! I'm also trying to incorporate one meal a week that is meatless (including chicken), but still filling and good for us. We've started eating salmon on that night, this week I am trying a shrimp recipe (I'll post it after we've tried it).

When I made this curry, Jake took one look and said "No chicken?" Afterwards he told me it really was filling! So here's to eating differently and changing my husband's "it's not dinner without meat" way of thinking!



Chef Meg's Slow Cooker Vegetable Curry
1 tbsp canola oil
2 carrots, sliced 1.4 in thick
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1./2 tsp cayenne pepper
5-4 yukon gold or red potatoes, quartered
8 oz green beans, fresh or frozen
3 cups garbonzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 c tomatoes diced (I used canned)
2 c vegetable stock (I used chick broth)
1/2 c frozen peas
1/2 c coconut milk

Heat oil in pan, add carrots and onions; saute 3-4 minutes. Add spices and garlic to the pan, cook until spices become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer veggies to crockpot. Add remaining ingredients except for peas and coconut milk. Cook on low 5 1/2 hrs. 15 minutes before serving add peas and coconut milk. Sever over rice!

This recipe says it serves 8, so you may want to cut it in half. Next time I think I will add some cooked shrimp towards the end as well.
Enjoy!

*recipe taken from sparkrecipes.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment