Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Manhattan Meatballs

This is SO good and very easy. I am not a big fan of meatballs...the idea itself of eating a ball of meat is not appetizing me. But these sure where yummy! The original recipe came from justamomha.com(http://www.justamomha.com/pantry-gourmet/2009/07/manhattan-meatballs/ for pictures). Using what I had in my pantry I made a few changes. Another great thing about this meal is all the ingredients are in a typical pantry. woot woot.

Manhattan Meatballs
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 c. onion, chopped (I actually didn't have this so I used some onion salt)
2 c. soft bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 Tbs fresh parsley (I didn't have any fresh or dried so I used dill...couldn't taste it though)
2 tsp salt (I used seasoning salt-for fun)
10 oz apricot preserves (I have apricot jam, and I felt awful using my precious home made jam so I probably didn't use enough. Now that I know it is so yummy and worth it)
1/2 c. BBQ sauce


In a large bowl combine beef, crumbs, onion, eggs, parsley, and salt. Form into balls and place on a greased baking sheet (the balls were a lot drier than I have ever used before. I don't know if it was the bread crumbs or what. I was worried but it turned out perfect). Combine preserves and BBQ sauce in separate bowl. Brown the meatballs in the oven at 350 degrees (this doesn’t take too long, 5-10 minutes, just keep an eye on them). Place the browned meatballs in a casserole dish and cover with the sauce mix. Put back in the oven and cook for another 40 minutes or until cooked through. Serve meatballs with sauce over rice.

3 golf size meatballs is about 4 weight watcher points (by my calculations. I made 30 meatballs with this recipe if you use 1 lbs of meat you will probably get less) this doesn't include rice.

I think I will make these for the Superbowl in a crockpot...

No comments:

Post a Comment